Office Depot, Inc

Thursday, July 5, 2007

How Safe Is Your Company's Wallet

When I was 18, I went to a dance at an Ivy League University. I remember dancing a lot and speaking to several people. Of course, my purse would have been in the way while I danced, so I put it down on one of the chairs without a second thought. It was a nondescript black purse surrounded by many others, and it never occurred to me that it would not be safe.

At the end of the evening when my friends and I were ready to leave, I retrieved the purse. Nothing looked amiss, and it was only when I opened the wallet did I realize what had happened. All of the bills were gone, but fortunately there was enough change to get me home. I felt stupid for being so trusting, and now I guard my wallet much more carefully.

What happened to me happens every day on an even greater scale to businesses. My $30 loss pales in comparison to the losses sustained by businesses every day. According to the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners http://www.acfe.com/ over $650 billion was lost by US businesses in one year as a result of employee fraud.

And it’s not only big businesses such as Enron, WorldCom, and Adelphia that are hurt. An employee of the Miami-Dade Florida Water and Sewer Authority pled guilty to defrauding the agency of $1 million dollars earmarked for bulk mailings. A former bookkeeper for a Scottsdale, Arizona, cryonics company was accused of stealing $177,000 from the company to invest in a bar. In a Chicago suburb, an office manager embezzled $143,000 from an auto parts dealer.

Statistics show that small businesses are more vulnerable and more likely to be hurt by employee theft, and the person most likely to embezzle is frequently the most trusted employee — the employee that comes in early, stays late, and rarely takes a day off. What is perhaps the most horrifying statistic revealed by the ACFE is that most cases are discovered by accident rather than by any system of controls.

How can business owners protect themselves from employee fraud? Read my next posting on this blog for some practical advice.